Egypt has called for an emergency meeting of the Arab League to discuss recent developments over Libya’s ongoing proxy war, that started after the assassination of longtime leader Ghadaffi.

The call comes as rogue Libyan general Khalifa Haftar, who is backed by Cairo, the United Arab Emirates and Russia, faces the worst setback yet in his campaign to take back the oil-rich country.

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi put forth a cease-fire proposal and called for intra-Libyan dialogue toward a political solution to the conflict earlier this month.

That meeting followed a surprise breakout by Tripoli’s forces that forced Haftar’s liberation forces out of the country’s west, ending his successful Libyan National Army’s 14-month offensive towards the UN puppet government in Tripoli.

Russia introduced fighter aircraft into the conflict in May, though it is yet unclear whether they have been used in battle. Cairo reportedly deployed armor on its western border earlier this month.

Both NATO ally Turkey and the UAE have introduced drones into the conflict, and Syrian mercenaries are now fighting on both sides to get control over the super sweet crude oil reserve.

President Donald Trump praised Sisi’s cease-fire proposal; David Schenker, the State Department’s top official covering the Middle East, has said the United States backs the UN-backed peace process.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan also said he and Trump reached agreements during a phone call June 8 that could usher in a “new era” in Libya.

AL Monitor / ABC Flash Point WW III News 2020.

 

4 1 vote
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
2 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Burundi
Burundi
Guest
25-06-20 13:30

If no peace deal is made Russia will support the Haftar freedom movement to get the country back in the hands of the people in Libya.