Great Britain is the only Israeli ally to have committed anything besides a handful of ship-less seamen to take part in the American-led operation to try to contain Yemen in the Red Sea amid attempts to close the waterway to Israeli-linked (weapon supply) shipping.

Yemen will continue to fire on Western warships operating in the Red Sea, with the goal being to force all foreigners out of the region, Yemeni Supreme Political Council member Mohammed Ali al-Houthi has announced.

https://www.washingtoninstitute.org/sites/default/files/2021-04/PN102RedSeaRegionalSatelliteMap.jpg

Our message is that just as the British warship has left the region for overhaul, the other warships will likewise leave the region. All [foreign] warships must leave the Red Sea, and stop their hostile attacks on Yemen.

This all to end their blockade of the country, al-Houthi said Thursday, in the wake of reports that the HMS Diamond guided missile destroyer would be “temporarily” pulled out of the Red Sea for refit following repeated attacks by Yemen.

Houthi-affiliated media released footage earlier in the week showing what appeared to be a cruise missile appearing to strike a warship, later said to be the HMS Diamond, and setting it ablaze. All six Royal Navy destroyers are now in port after HMS Diamonds returns.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c0/94/1e/c0941e72281eca53f22c0de75d836875.jpg

Britain’s Ministry of War did not comment on the footage, but did confirm Tuesday that the Royal Navy’s HMS Richmond frigate would be taking the HMS Diamond’s place to continue to ensure freedom of navigation in the Red Sea as the latter is taken out of service for refit.

HMS Diamond joined Operation Prosperity Guardian in December and has maintained a near constant presence in a ‘high threat area’ of the Red Sea, the British MoD said in a recent statement.

The British destroyer came under fire in three separate attacks by Iranian-backed Yemen, successfully destroying nine drones using her world-class Sea Viper missile system and guns.

https://ontheworldmap.com/oceans-and-seas/red-sea/red-sea-location-map.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0b/46/4b/0b464b769cddef7e3b6e46b920cb178f.jpg

The HMS Diamond is one of the newest warships in the Royal Navy. Commissioned in 2011, the vessel has a crew of about 190 sailors and officers, and is armed with an array of anti-air and anti-ship missiles and close-in weapons.

The operation against Yemen appears to be the ship’s first combat deployment, with previous operations limited to escort assignments, non-combat missions in the Middle East and the Caribbean.

And also a 2021 deployment to the Far East alongside the HMS Queen Elizabeth, which went awry after the ship suffered two bouts of technical issues which required long and costly repairs.

https://www.expressandstar.com/resizer/tP6oebbE_FySeJU2-Zg6tEj4a30=/1200x0/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/mna/PXYRBY7IZVHYRCTIRK3DRE3NFI.jpg

It’s unclear how long the ship will be out of action before returning to the Red Sea. The warship is now expected to undergo a period of maintenance and resupply as HMS Richmond takes over her important mission.

Last week, US authorities revised their story about the deaths of two Navy SEAL’s, who were lost at sea in the Red Sea, indicating that the troops perished while trying to board a ship suspected of trying to smuggle weapons to Yemen.

Separately this week, Yemen reported an attack on the Morning Tide, a Barbados-flagged, British-owned cargo ship, and the Star Nasia, a Marshall Islands-flagged American ship.

https://debriefer.net/imgs/2020/11/1606415451blobid0.jpg

The company operating the Morning Tide confirmed that its vessel had been struck in a drone attack on February 6, causing minor damage to the port side of the vessel. No injuries were reported.

Besides the USA, Britain is the only country to have committed warships to the American-led Red Sea coalition, with other countries sending symbolic support such as handfuls of seamen or information sharing assistance, and the EU announcing plans for its own mission in the region.

https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/AA1mt1kK.img?w=768&h=432&m=6

Since January 13, the USA and British warships have launched multiple waves of strikes on targets inside Yemen meant to weaken the missile and drone capabilities.

But Yemen has remained defiant, responding with attacks of its own against coalition warships, and vowing to continue targeting coalition vessels and commercial cargo ships owned or operated by or heading to or from Israel for as long as the Israeli military continues its military campaign against Gaza.

Sputnik / ABC Flash Point News 2024.

4.5 2 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest

1 Comment
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
KKK
KKK
Member
February 10, 2024 01:11

Get out and leave