The Serbian energy regulator has given final approval for the construction of a branch of the Turkish Stream pipeline that will deliver Russian natural gas into Turkey as well as southern and southeastern Europe.

The Serbian minister of mining and energy, Aleksandar Antic, announced that works on the Turkish Stream project, also known as TurkStream, are set to start in April, 2019.

Gastrans is responsible for laying the gas transportation branch from Bulgaria to Hungary. The company is owned by Swiss-based South Stream Serbia, of which Russia’s Gazprom holds a 51% stake. Serbian gas company Srbijagas holds the remaining 49%.

Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic noted the importance of implementing the gas pipeline project at a meeting with Russian Deputy Prime Minister Yury Borisov in Belgrade.

The project was created as an alternative to the South Stream route through Bulgaria, which ditched the pipeline project amid pressure from the EU and the USA.

Another Russia-led energy project – the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline from Russia to Germany under the Baltic Sea – has been under scrutiny from Washington and some European states.

RT. com / ABC Flash Point Energy News 2019.

5 2 votes
Article Rating
Notify of

1 Comment
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Lola Lopez
Lola Lopez
10-11-22 11:10

Serbia proves to be NATO’s and the EU’s naughty child in the class room?